Pet urine can be very offensive and embarrassing if you keep your dogs indoor as the odour may persist even long after cleaning the urine. Dog urine has a very high content of uric acid that’s why it has strong pungent smell.
Regular cleaning agents like soap and water won’t bind to the uric acid, so no matter how many times you clean the area, those crystals stay put. An enzymatic cleaner will break down the uric acid and finally release it from the concrete.
Even if you think the smell is gone after using conventional cleaning products, it will only take a little bit of moisture (even just a humid day) to revive the smell of urine. The presence of water causes the uric acid to release a gas, which creates a strong, foul odor.
So it becomes imperative to use enzymatic cleaners made especially for the removal of pet urine (you can even get one specifically for dogs or cats)
There are a lot of places that our best friend can soil in our home and it includes the upholstery, tiles, floor, beds
Start by putting all the furniture apart – pillows, blankets and others, and vacuum everything thoroughly. If the sofa and chairs have removable slipcovers or cushion covers, take them off and wash.
Get into the crevices of the furniture as deep as possible to remove all the hair, and flip the bed mattress to get both sides.
On the floors, make sure to get under all of the furniture and in the corners, where “hair bunnies” tend to gather.
Depending on your choice you can use homemade remedies or commercial odour removers to remove this foul smelling odour in home.
There are good number of homemade odour neutralizers you can use
A. Home Made Remedies For Removing Pet Urine Odour
- If you notice a wet spot that may have happened earlier in the day, sprinkle it with baking soda and let it sit overnight, After the patch dries overnight, spray it with distilled white vinegar and let the carpet bubble a bit so it can interact with the compounds so as the remove foul odour.
- On the carpets, bed and furniture, sprinkle baking soda liberally, using a cleaning brush to spread it around and into the fabric. Let it all sit overnight so that the baking soda has a chance to absorb the odors.
- You can as well mix vinegar and baking soda together in a spray bottle, according to a green cleaning coach Erinn Morgan, author of Picture Yourself Going Green. She advocates mixing one cup of distilled white vinegar with one cup of water and two tablespoonfuls of baking soda and shake it very well. Then spray it on the carpet and allow it sit for five or six minutes, then gently blot it up with a fresh cloth.
2. Here is another homemade preparation you can as well use to remove these foul smelling urine odour.
Pour the following ingredients into a spray bottle:
- 5 oz hydrogen peroxide
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp dishwasher orange soap (something about the orange scent help break up the urine smell), or use 3 drops of wild orange essential oil for best results.
When all of the ingredients have been added, gently shake the bottle. Now simply generously spray the affected area with this solution and allow to completely dry. It will become powder-like once the formula dries.
Once it dries vacuum up the powder. If the smell is still there, then repeat this step again and add the extra step included below.
B. Commercial Preparations
1 Get a heavy duty-cleaner like trisodium phosphate (TSP).A heavy-duty cleaner will ensure that all the all the other elements of the urine (like the bacteria) are completely removed and the enzymatic cleaner can work faster to dissolve the uric crystals.Make sure you wear protective goggles and rubber gloves, as TSP can damage your skin.
- Mix TSP in a bucket of very hot water at a ratio of 1/2 cup for every 1 gallon of water.
- If you don’t want to use a heavy-duty chemical like TSP, try cleaning with a water and vinegar mixture (2 parts vinegar to 1 part water) instead
2 Pour the TSP mixture onto the floor and use a broom to lightly scrub the area. Work in small increments (about 3×3 feet). It is important you do not allow the TSP to dry out too quickly. It should sit wet on the surface of the concrete for at least 5 minutes.If the mixture dries before 5 minutes have passed, add more TSP mixture or water to the area. The longer it remains wet, the deeper the mixture can penetrate the concrete.
- You will probably notice the urine smell grows very strong as you pre-treat the floor. This is a normal reaction of the uric acid crystals and the water.
3 Pour hot water over the treated area and use a wet/dry vacuum to vacuum up all the liquid.This will remove much of the spent TSP solution. Then rinse the floor with hot water twice more and allow the floor to dry naturally overnight.
- Don’t use fans to speed the process along you can saturate the concrete and loosen up as much of the urine residue as possible.
- If you find your vacuum smells like urine after sucking up the TSP mixture, spray the hose with the enzymatic cleaner (diluted to 1 part concentrate to 30 parts water) while the machine is running. Then turn the machine off and spray the inside of the dirty water tank.
- If you use a carpet cleaner, add water to the tank instead of pouring water on the ground and run it in a rinse/removal cycle.
Treating the Concrete
Prepare the enzymatic concentrate according to the instructions. Some cleaners must be mixed with a carpet cleaning solution, while others just require the addition of water. Follow all instructions carefully, and be sure you don’t dilute the concentrate by adding too much water.
- Make sure the floor is entirely dry from the pre-cleansing the day before you begin applying the enzymatic cleaner.
Saturate the area with the enzymatic cleaner
You want to work in small sections of about 3×3 feet. Use enough of the solution that there is standing water on the area for at least 10 minutes. Add more solution if the area begins to dry out–again, it is essential the liquid permeate every layer and ever pore of the cement so it can break down the uric crystals.
- For easier application, use a clean deck or household sprayer. Using a dirty sprayer will cause whatever residue (like mildew or dirt) to be sprayed into the absorbent concrete and may result in another bad smell.
- Be especially aggressive in areas where you noted the urine stain with the UV light. You may want to get a scrub brush and use that to really work the enzymatic cleaner into those areas.
- The most heavily marked areas may bubble. Take note of these areas, as you may need to treat them again if the smell persists.
- Repeat the process until you have treated the entire floor.
There are other commercial preparations you can use remove foul smelling pet odour which you can easily get in a pet store.
Have other ways to remove this offensive pet urine odour? Please share your tips in the comment box.